The Department of Respiratory Medicine at SBAMI offers facilities and management of all kinds of pulmonary disease, infective and non-infective, in adults, adolescents, and small children. Our comprehensive respiratory medicine programme provides treatment for all airway and lung disorders including asthma, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases), occupational lung diseases, sleep disorders, interstitial lung diseases, tuberculosis, chronic bronchitis, cystic fibrosis and lung cancers.
We have world-class facilities for early detection, diagnosis, and management of various pulmonary diseases. Various diagnostic facilities are made available to the patients including lung (pulmonary) function test, allergy testing, DLCO & TLCO testing, video bronchoscopy, biopsy cytology, and CT guided biopsy. It is also equipped with world-class thoracic imaging technologies, such as, CT, MR, and Ultrasound scan and other medical equipment for lung ventilation, lung perfusion, and other medical and surgical procedures.
Our team is composed of eminent pulmonary physicians, physiologists, respiratory therapists, dieticians, thoracic surgeons, clinical nurses and technicians. The respiratory medicine facility works in tandem with cardiology, neuroscience, oncology, and other departments to ensure best possible care for in and-out patients. It is fully equipped to perform all surgical procedures related to lung, chest wall, and the oesophagus.
We have a developed group therapy programme. Out-patients who are suffering from asthma, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis are periodically called upon for group therapy sessions and taught self-management techniques.
Round-the-clock emergency facilities are available for in and-out patients at the hospital.
The department of respiratory medicine takes active part in quit-tobacco drives and motivates patients to quit consuming tobacco in any form through our quit-tobacco programme. We also provide tobacco-addict patients with clinical counselling at the hospital and offer them psychologist’s support.
Facilities & Procedures
- Pulmonary Function Tests (PFT) including Spirometry, Diffusion capacity for carbon monoxide (DLCO) and Lung volumes
- Video Bronchoscopy and associated procedures, like BAL, Transbronchial Lung Biopsy, TBNA, Whole Lung Lavage (WLL)
- Endoscopic Bronchoscopic Ultrasound (EBUS) with TBNA and biopsies
- Medical Thoracoscopy and pleural biopsy
- Polysomnography (Sleep study)
- CPAP titration
- Oxygen titration
- Allergen sensitivity tests
- Fine needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB)
- Pleural aspiration and biopsy
- Intercostal tube drainage and pigtail drainage
- Ventilation Perfusion Scan
- Multidetector CT scan (MD CT)
- Pulmonary angiogram
- Image guided lung biopsy
- Image guided cavitary drainge
- Pulmonary rehabilitation for COPD and ILD patients
- Bronchial artery embolisation for Hemoptysis