Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology is a specialized field of medicine that focuses on the reproductive health of young girls, ranging from infancy to late adolescence. This unique branch of gynaecology is dedicated to addressing the specific needs and concerns that arise during the transition from childhood to adulthood. Pediatric and adolescent gynaecologists play a crucial role in providing age-appropriate care, education, and support to young girls, ensuring their reproductive health journey begins on a positive and informed note.
Common Conditions Treated By The Department
- Precocious or Delayed Puberty: Some girls may experience puberty earlier or later than average, requiring evaluation and potential intervention.
- Irregular Menstrual Cycles: Hormonal fluctuations during adolescence can lead to irregular periods, which may need evaluation and management.
- Pelvic Pain: This can result from a variety of causes, including menstrual cramps, endometriosis, or pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Vaginal Infections: Pediatric and adolescent gynaecologists diagnose and treat common infections like yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): This hormonal disorder can affect adolescent girls and may require specialized care.
- Menstrual Disorders: Conditions like dysmenorrhea (painful periods) or menorrhagia (heavy bleeding) may require intervention to improve quality of life.
Common procedures performed by the Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology department include:
- Pelvic Examinations: Age-appropriate pelvic examinations are conducted to assess the development and health of the reproductive organs. This may include external and internal genital examination.
- Vulvar and Vaginal Biopsies: When there are concerns about vulvar or vaginal abnormalities, biopsies may be performed to diagnose and treat conditions like vulvar cysts, lumps, or precancerous lesions.
- Hymenectomy: In cases of imperforate hymen or other hymenal abnormalities causing obstruction, a hymenectomy may be performed to create an opening and alleviate symptoms.
- Menstrual Cycle Assessment: Evaluation of menstrual irregularities, including heavy bleeding or absent periods, may involve hormonal testing, pelvic ultrasounds, and endometrial biopsies if necessary.
- Management of Ovarian Cysts: Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology specialists manage ovarian cysts through monitoring, medical treatment, or minimally invasive surgical procedures when indicated.
- Management of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): Treatment of PCOS may include hormonal therapy, lifestyle modifications, and education on menstrual health and fertility preservation.
- Vulvar and Vaginal Procedures: Surgical interventions, such as excision of vulvar or vaginal lesions, are performed when necessary to address conditions like vulvar warts or vaginal septum.
- Treatment of Vaginal Foreign Bodies: Removal of foreign objects that may become lodged in the vaginal canal, which can occur in pediatric patients, is managed in this department.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT): HRT may be prescribed in cases of hormone deficiency or disorders to promote puberty progression and reproductive health.
- Contraceptive Counseling and Services: Adolescents may receive counselling on contraceptive options, including birth control pills, long-acting reversible contraceptives (LARCs), or barrier methods.
- Evaluation of Delayed Puberty: When puberty is delayed, evaluations are performed to determine the underlying cause and develop appropriate treatment plans.
- Management of Gynecological Infections: Diagnosis and treatment of gynaecological infections, such as yeast infections or sexually transmitted infections (STIs), are provided.
- Evaluation of Gynecological Pain: Evaluation and management of gynaecological pain conditions, such as dysmenorrhea or pelvic pain, are offered.
- Counselling for Sexual Assault or Abuse: Sensitive care and counselling are provided for adolescents who have experienced sexual assault or abuse.
- Preoperative and Postoperative Care: When surgical interventions are necessary, the department provides comprehensive care, including preoperative assessments and postoperative follow-up.
- Specialized Expertise: The department is staffed by healthcare professionals who specialize in the unique gynaecological needs of pediatric and adolescent patients. They have the knowledge and experience to provide age-appropriate care and address sensitive issues.
- Age-Appropriate Care: Pediatric and adolescent patients receive care that is tailored to their age, developmental stage, and emotional needs. Healthcare providers are trained to communicate effectively with young patients and their families.
- Early Intervention: The department can address gynaecological issues at an early stage, allowing for prompt diagnosis and intervention. Early detection and treatment can prevent or minimize potential complications.
- Preventive Health: Providers in this department emphasize preventive health measures, including education on reproductive health, sexual health, and healthy lifestyles. This education empowers young patients to make informed choices and maintain good health.
- Management of Menstrual Disorders: Young patients experiencing menstrual irregularities or disorders, such as heavy bleeding or painful periods, receive appropriate evaluation and treatment, improving their quality of life.
- Adolescent-Friendly Environment: The department creates a welcoming and supportive environment that is sensitive to the unique needs and concerns of adolescent patients, promoting trust and open communication.
Call 011-42888888 to book an appointment with a specialist at Sri Balaji Action Medical Institute.